At times it is important to restore your Outlook data by using a backup of your .pst file as you may have experienced a hardware failure, lost data unexpectedly or when you want to transfer data from one computer to another or from one hard drive to another. It’s better to be safe than sorry, so make regular backups of sensitive data as nothing is more annoying than losing all your contacts and details. If you use Outlook 2013, it is fairly simple to back up all your sent and received mails, address book contacts, tasks and other notes by using a safe PST backup.
Backup Your Microsoft Outlook 2013 Mails
So here’s how to back up your Outlook 2013 mails on your PC. You can use a backup tool MOBackup for the daily backup of your Outlook 2013 data, completely automated by enabling the auto save routine add-in. Also, backing up manually isn’t too difficult either.
Export data to a new PST File:
- Open Outlook 2013 and click on File on the top of the screen that opens from the drop down menu.
- Now click on the Open & Export option found to the left of the screen.
- Now click on Import/Export on the Open Outlook screen.
- Next click on the Export to a file option and then continue with the Next few clicks to move through the next process.
- Choose the Outlook Data File (.pst) option and then continue with Next.
You will now find the option of choosing Outlook folders you would like to backup from your Outlook accounts. Choose your required folder for backup and then click on the Include Subfolders button and then continue to Next. Doing this will backup all your mails and files on Outlook.
- The next screen asks you to browse for a location where you want to save your .pst file along with three options. Following are the options you will find:
- Replace duplicates with items exported
- Allow duplicate items to be created
- Do not allow duplicate items
- Select a unique name for your main folder and choose specific drives such as your flash drive or external hard drive to save them to an additional location.
- Now from the list of options you can choose any option as per your requirement. If you want to overwrite your backups on a daily basis you can go for the first option and if you don’t want to export duplicate items choose the third option and click on Finish.
- You now have successfully created your PST file backup.
If you wish to export all your files and contact to another application just follow the simple guidelines given below. This will be easy if you have already created a backup file before.
- Open Outlook and click on File and then select Open & Export option.
- Click on Import/ Export on the open screen option and then choose Export to a file and then continue clicking Next
- Now you have got two options just as before and this time choose Comma separated Values option and click on Next.
- You have the list of options to choose from and select Contacts option and then continue to Next.
- Same as earlier, browse for the location where you will export the CSV file and give a desired file name to the folder by entering a name and then click OK.
- Again continue by clicking on Next and complete the process by clicking on Finish to check all your exported contacts.
All the steps mentioned above can be followed to backup your Outlook calendar except that you need to select Calendar from the list of options you have got instead of Contacts. Remain steps follow the same procedure as in above case.
Restore Microsoft Outlook 2013
The following steps make you understand how to restore all your emails, contacts, calendar and from a backup copy of your PST file.
- Select File option in the open Outlook and then select Import & Export.
- Now from the Import and Export wizard choose Import from another program or file option and then click on Next.
- Choose the Outlook Data File (.pst) and click on Next to proceed further.
- From your backup location, browse to your backup copy of the PST file you want to recover.
- Choose the checkbox Replace duplicates with items imported and then click on Next and then Finish to end the process.
We hope this article helped you to understand how easy it is to backup all your Outlook 2013 mails in your PC. Do let us know if you have any questions or faced any difficulties!