Free Learning 48 Languages Online : Spanish, Chinese, English & More
Not many parents out there would be against their child Growing up bilingual. Did you know that the best time to learn another language is alongside the first language and that the brain at the age of <18 months is perfectly capable of processing more than one language without confusion?
What a great talent to add to your child’s repertoire with many bonuses such as making them more culturally sociable both at home and abroad and making them more attractive in the work place later on in life. Furthermore, studies have now shown that bilingual children have increased attention and cognition abilities.
How to learn languages for free? This collection features lessons in 40 languages, including Spanish, French, English, Mandarin, Italian, Russian and more. Download audio lessons to your computer or mp3 player and you’re good to go.
- Arabic for Global Exchange – Web site
- From Carnegie Mellon, a mini-course for individuals with no proficiency or extremely limited knowledge of Arabic language and culture who are about to begin study or work in an Arabic-speaking context.
- Arabic Language Lessons – Web Site
- The US Peace Corps serves up 10 free lessons that will teach you the Arabic spoken in Jordan. The web site includes a useful transcript.
- Arabic for Beginners 1 – YouTube Free
- A series of video lessons from Dalarna University in Sweden.
- ArabicPod – iTunes Free
- Includes mp3s and PDF transcripts.
- Foreign Service Institute Basic Amharic – Web site
- Lessons in dialogues, drills, exercises, and narratives. Includes samples of speech, explanations of basic language structures, and a variety of practical exercises. Two textbooks (PDF) and eleven audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Written Arabic – Web site
- Spoken exercises in Arabic and the printed transcriptions. Four textbooks (PDF) and 31 audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Levantine Arabic – Web site
- Introduction to pronunciation. Textbook (PDF) and 19 audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Saudi Arabic – Web site
- Covers the urban Hijazi dialect. Textbook (PDF) and 51 audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Comparative Arabic – Web site
- From Eastern to Western Arabic, and Levantine-Egyptian comparative study. Two textbooks (PDF).
- Survival Phrases Arabic – iTunes Free
- Provides the essentials you’ll need to get around.
- Written Arabic – Web Site
- Presented by the Foreign Service Institute, this Modern Written Arabic course focuses on reading modern printed Arabic. It also provides information on the Arabic writing system.
Bookmark our free Arabic lessons section. Bambara
- Bambara in Mali – Web Site
- Lessons from the Peace Corps.
- Bulgarian Survival Phrases – iTunes Free – Feed
- Foreign Service Institute Bulgarian – Web site
- Two textbooks (PDF) and 75 audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Basic Cambodian – Web site
- Two textbooks (PDF) and 45 audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Contemporary Cambodian – Web site
- Textbook (PDF) and 60 audio lessons (MP3).
- One Minute Catalan iTunes Free – Feed
- A good way to get going with a language still spoken by some 12 million people, many living in Northeast Spain.
- Real Chinese – Web Site
- Presented by the BBC. A lively introduction to Mandarin Chinese in 10 short parts with video clips from the Real Chinese TV series.
- Beginner’s Chinese – iTunes Free
- Introductory audio lessons provided by the Open University.
- Chinese Course – Seton Hall
- Beginning Chinese – Free iTunes Audio – Seton Hall
- Beginning Chinese Reader – Free iTunes Audio – Seton Hall
- Intermediate Chinese – Free iTunes Audio – Seton Hall
- Intermediate Chinese Reader – Free iTunes Audio – Seton Hall
- Advanced Chinese – Free iTunes Audio – Seton Hall
- Advanced Chinese Reader – Free iTunes Audio – Seton Hall
- Chinese Basic – Web
- A web-application developed by the University of Cambridge Language Centre for basic level students of Chinese. It focuses on listening and reading skill but it also includes many activities that help learners prepare for speaking and writing. Note that you can also download Intermediate Chinese here.
- Chinese Learn Online – iTunes Free – Feed
- A dialogue-based introduction to Mandarin Chinese. Load the lessons on your mp3 player and get up the Chinese curve.
- Chinese Lessons with Serge Melnyk – iTunes Free –Feed
- Weekly lessons in Mandarin that get very strong reviews from iTunes users..
- Chinesepod.com iTunes Free – Feed
- A series of well-reviewed lessons that will let you learn Mandarin on your own terms.
- CSLPod – iTunes Free –Feed
- Here, native Mandarin speakers teach you Chinese as a second language. Audio and transcripts are available on the website. The lessons also place an emphasis on understanding Chinese culture.
- Foreign Service Institute Basic Cantonese – Web site
- Two textbooks (PDF) and 30 audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Standard Chinese: A Modular Approach – Web site
- Designed to give a practical command of spoken standard Chinese with nine situational modules. Each module consists of tapes (MP3), a student textbook (PDF), and a workbook. In addition to the core modules, there is a resource module and eight optional modules.
- iMandarinPod.com – iTunes Free –Feed
- This series of lessons teaches Chinese by talking about Chinese culture or what is happening today in China. More advanced than others.
- Mandarin Chinese Characters – iTunes Free
- Created by Emory University, this series of video lessons will help you draw several characters and numbers.
- Mandarin in China – Web Site
- Lessons courtesy of the US Peace Corps
- News in Slow Chinese – iTunes Free – Web Site
- Designed for intermediate Mandarin speakers. Improve your language skills by listening to world news delivered in slowly spoken words.
- Numbers and Radicals – iTunes Free
- Emory University teaches you the proper form for writing numbers and radicals. In Video.
- One Minute Mandarin – iTunes Free – Feed
- A quick way to cover the very basics…
- Popup Chinese – iTunes Free – Feed
- Offers lessons for beginners and also students at intermediate and advanced levels. In addition to language lessons, Popup Chinese provides annotated short stories, HSK test prep materials and a variety of speaking and listening exercises. They broadcast out of Beijing, and all voice actors speak the standard northern dialect.
- Survival Chinese – iTunes Free – Feed
- Learn the phrases you need to get by while traveling in China.
- World Learner Chinese – iTunes Free – Feed
- Another in the mix of possibilities.
- Foreign Service Institute Czech Fast – Web site
- Textbook (PDF) and twelve audio lessons (PDF).
- Dare to Danish iTunes Free
- This is not your usual series of language lessons. Here, a “dirty Dane” teaches you “stupid phrases and more.”
- One Minute Danish iTunes Free – Feed
- We get a lot of requests (believe it or not) for Danish. So here’s another useful primer created by the One Minute series.
- Laura Speaks Dutch – iTunes Free
- Lessons that will help you travel to Holland. It’s worth checking out the accompanying web site.
- Learn Dutch – iTunes Free
- Culturally relevant lessons that are easy to listen to.
- Connect with English – Web
- Featuring the story of Rebecca, an aspiring singer on a journey across America, Connect With English offers 50 fifteen-minute video programs that will teach English as a second language to high school students, college students and adult learners. Produced by WGBH Boston.
- The English We Speak – iTunes Free – Web Site – RSS
- Each week, the BBC looks at phrases used in the English language.
- American English Speech – Web
- The OLI American English Dialect course from Carnegie Mellon supplies the necessary reinforcement of dialectical structure, audio, production technique and phonetic representation for each sound.
- 6 Minute English – iTunes Free – Downloads – Web Site – RSS
- Learn and practice useful English with the BBC.
- Better @ English – iTunes Free – Feed
- Focuses on conversational English, with an emphasis on idioms and slang.
- Business English – iTunes Free – RSS
- Learn the English you will need to function effectively in an American business environment.
- Effortless English – iTunes Free – Feed
- It gets solid reviews.
- English as a Second Language – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- A very well liked collection of ESL lessons. Over 100 episodes in the collection.
- English in the Real World – iTunes Free
- The focus here is on the business world and things financial.
- English for Spanish Speakers (’Por Fin Aprende Ingles’) – iTunes Free – Feed
- Si usted haya asistido al menos a un curso de ingles, y usted necesita la oportunidad de escuchar al ingles y hablar el ingles, entonces ‘Por Fin Aprende Ingles’ es el podcast perfecto para usted. Presentado por Carla Staufert-Sauvier, una profesora de Mexico, y Jade Lindquist, una profesora de los EE UU.
- ESL Business News – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- A weekly wrap of international business news read in slow, clear English. Listen to the broadcast and follow along in the accompanying script.
- Film English – Web
- Site promotes the innovative and creative use of film in language learning. All of the lesson plans revolve around the use of video and film to teach English. Recently won a British Council ELTons awards for Innovation in Teacher Resources.
- Grammar Girl – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- Grammar Girl provides short, friendly tips to improve your writing. Whether English is your first language or your second language, these grammar, punctuation, style, and business tips will make you a better and more successful writer.
- Speaking English – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- 100+ lessons focusing on English pronunciation and vocabulary.
- Tu Ingles! – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- “Tu Ingles” is designed to help Spanish-speakers improve their ear for English. The weekly program features drills of verb conjugation, interviews, advice about idioms, and excerpts of speeches and other recorded spoken material from famous English speakers.
- Bookmark our free English lessons section.
- Easy Persian – Web Site
- Easy Persian offers online lessons in listening, speaking, reading, and writing Persian or Farsi as spoken in Iran. In addition to Persian language lessons, the site introduces contemporary Iranian poets with English translations of their poems. You’ll also find free Farsi/Persian software, Persian names with English translations, Farsi writing drills and much more.
- Foreign Service Institute Conversational Finnish – Web site
- Transcripts of the Finnish dialogues with idiomatic English translations plus notes on structural pattern and explanations of essential points of grammar. A variety of exercises with instructions in English.
- Special Finnish Web Site
- For listeners with some command of Finnish YLE Radio Finland offers daily broadcasts in “Special Finnish”. The five minute broadcasts cover items of current interest. To ease understanding, we simplify the language and slow down the delivery. Some grammatical forms are not used at all. The level of Finnish used is planned to match the expected ability to understand Finnish shown by persons in Level Two Language Command (ofFinnish) as defined by the Council of Europe.”
- French in Action – Free Web Site
- Produced by Yale University, these video lessons uses the storyline of an American student and a young Frenchwoman’s adventures in Paris to teach the language.
- French 1 & French 2 from Carnegie Mellon – Web Site
- The French courses are introductory, interactive video-based courses intended for use by university students and independent learners on the Internet.
- Ma France – Web Site
- The BBC offers 24 video lessons that will teach you French.
- Easy French Poetry – iTunes Free – RSS
- A French as a second language program, using poetry as a topic for discussion using everyday conversational French.
- Foreign Service Institute Basic Course: Volume 1 – Web Site
- The cours is designed to enable you to reach conversational proficiency. You learn how to control the French sound system by listening to the tapes and repeating each phrase. The dialogues present natural spoken French in a variety of contexts, such as, greeting people, registering at a hotel, getting a train ticket, and shopping.
- Foreign Service Institute Basic Course: Phonology – Web Site
- The Introduction to French Phonology course provides additional drills for those who wish to sound like a native speaker of the language. The course may be used beneficially at any stage of learning the language.
- Foreign Service Institute French Fast – Web site
- Designed to familiarize you with situations encountered abroad, and to provide you with the language skills you need to cope effectively with those situations. Includes lessons for metropolitan and sub-Saharan French.
- Foreign Service Institute French: Headstart for Belgium – Web site
- Textbook and culture notes (PDF) and sixteen audio lessons (PDF).
- French for Beginners iTunes Free Feed
- Fun, effective lessons for beginners. Provided by the French Ecole.
- FrenchPod.com – iTunes Free – Feed
- A series of well-reviewed lessons that will let you learn French on your own terms. Lessons are accompanied by text expansion exercises and other tutoring aids.
- Le Journal en français facile – iTunes Free – Feed– Web Site
- Nightly news from RFI presented in slowly spoken French to assist you with your comprehension.
- Learn French – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- A well-reviewed series of lessons for beginners and those who want to brush up on their French.
- Learn French with Coffee Break French – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- The producers of the very popular Coffee Break Spanish now offer a program that will teach you French.
- Learn French with Daily Lessons – iTunes Free – Feed
- These lessons are brought to you by French teachers from Paris. They are best suited for those who already have some beginning French under their belts.
- Native French Speech Podcast – iTunes – Web Site – RSS
- Listen to interesting conversations between Native French speakers and learn about everyday life in France and cultural French topics
- News in Slow French – iTunes Free – Web Site – RSS
- Program discusses the Weekly News, French grammar, and French expressions in simplified French at a slow pace.
- Talk French – Web Site
- A lively introduction to French presented by the BBC.
- The French Pod Class – iTunes Free
- A very popular collection that teaches students the French language and different facets of French culture.
- University of Texas: Francais interactif – iTunes Free – Web Site – RSS
- UT provides a series of interactive vocabulary lessons. Media can be downloaded from the site.
Bookmark our free French lessons section.
- Deutsch – warum nicht?
- Mission Berlin – iTunes – Web – RSS
- Learn German through a mystery adventure. Created by Deutsche Welle.
- Basic German – Web
- A web-application developed by the University of Cambridge Language Centre for basic level students of German. It focuses on listening and reading skill but it also includes many activities that help learners prepare for speaking and writing.
- Radio D – Series 1 iTunes – Series 2 iTunes – Series 1 RSS – Series 2 RSS
- German for beginners: Paula and Philipp are Radio D reporters who have several mysterious cases to investigate. Join them as their research takes them across Germany — and learn German along the way! Created by Deutsche Welle.
- Slowly Spoken News – iTunes – Feed
- Deutsche Welle provides a nightly news broadcast in German that’s spoken slowly so that you can work on your comprehension.
- Talk German – Web Site
- A lively introduction to German by the BBC. Presented in ten short parts.
- Deutsch – Lernen – Text
- 10 German lessons for total beginners and 24 German grammar lessons. No audio; text only.
- Deutsch Interaktiv – Web
- 30-part self-study course in German. Features authentic videos, slideshows and audio texts that convey a vibrant picture of life in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Created by Deutsche Welle.
- Foreign Service Institute German Programmed Introduction – Web site
- The text (PDF) and tapes (MP3) present, in a programmed learning style, the structural features and vocabulary contained in the first six units of the FSI German Basic Course. Serves to accelerate the progress of students who subsequently move to the Basic Course.
- Foreign Service Institute German Basic Course – Web site
- Two textbooks (PDF) and 24 audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute German Fast – Web site
- Textbook (PDF) and ten audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute German Headstart – Web site
- Textbook (PDF) and fourteen audio lessons (MP3).
- GermanPod 101 iTunes Free – RSS
- Offers materials for beginners, intermediate and advanced.
- German Podcast.de iTunes Free – Web Site – RSS
- GerGermanGrammar iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- German grammar lessons aimed at American students.
- Lernen Wir Deutsch iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- Presented in video, these “vodcasts” get high marks for being not only educational but also very entertaining.
- MyDailyPhrase.com iTunes Free – Feed
- Learn German phrase by phrase over a course of 20 weeks. Lessons cover all the language you need to know to get by on a visit to a German-speaking country. This series is put together by the same people created the popular series “Coffee Break Spanish.”
- One Minute German iTunes Free – Feed
- Presented by the Radio Lingua Network
- Slow German iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- Annik Rubens reads slowly and clearly from parts of her popular program, Sleepless in Munich (Schlaflos in Munchen).
Bookmark our free German lessons section.
- Foreign Service Institute Greek Basic – Web site
- Representative of the Kathomilumeni variety that is the “standard” speech of educated Greeks. Three textbooks (PDF) and 75 audio lessons (MP3).
- Learning Greek iTunes Free Web Site
- From the Hellenic American Union, these lessons will teach students Modern Greek. For those who already have some foundation in the language.
- Ancient Greek Introduction – Web Site
- The UT-Austin Linguistics Research Center provides an overview of Ancient Greek and 10 lessons based on famous Greek texts. It is all text-based.
- HebrewPod 101 iTunes Web Downloads Blog
- A way to learn some quick Hebrew on the fly.
- Elementary Hebrew iTunes Free
- The audio and video files come from a course taught in a seminary.
- Foreign Service Institute Hebrew Basic – Web site
- One textbook (PDF) and 40 audio lessons (MP3).
- HindiPod 101 – iTunes
- Learn Hindi with fun, interesting and culturally relevant lessons that are easy to listen to.
- I Speak Hindi iTunes – Feed Web Site
- Coversessential words and phrases that you need for your trip to India. There are also Beginner Hindi lessons for those that want to seriously start to learn the language.
- Learn Hindi from Bollywood Movies iTunes Free Feed
- This looks like a fun approach to learning a language.
- Namaste Dosti – Learn Hindi iTunes Free Feed Web Site
- There are few options when it comes to learning Hindi so the author decided to fill the void.
- Hindi: An Active Introduction – Textbook
- A short textbook by DN Sharma & James Stone on behalf of Foreign Service Institute (FSI).
- Foreign Service Institute Hungarian – Web site
- Two textbooks (PDF) and 24 audio lessons (MP3). Also includes a graded reader.
- Let’s Learn Hungarian iTunes Free Feed Web Site
- Learn with Steve or Gyorgyi, a native speaker.
- Icelandic Online – Web Site
- Created by University of Iceland. The lessons use various media – text, flashcards, videos and so on. Lets you track your progress. Available up to expert level. (Requires registration.)
- Viltu læra íslensku? – Web site
- 21 TV episodes of Icelandic lessons. Each episode deals with daily life and common situations in Iceland. Accompanying every episode is a thorough summary, explaining the subject of the episode. The episodes have Icelandic subtitles, making the dialog easier to follow.
- A Beginners’ MP3 course in Modern Icelandic – Web Site
- This is an experimental eight-hour beginners’ Icelandic course, based on Alaric’s experiences living in Iceland in 2010,
- Learning Indonesian iTunes Free Feed
- A complete online Indonesian course geared towards developing conversational fluency in the Indonesian Language.
- Talk Italian – Web Site
- A lively introduction to Italian presented by the BBC.
- Foreign Service Institute Italian Fast – Web site
- Includes the original and updated courses, each with textbooks (PDF) and audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Italian Programmed Course – Web site
- Textbook and instructor’s manual (PDF) and 18 audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Italian Headstart – Web site
- Textbook, glossary, culture notes (PDF) and 21 audio lessons (MP3).
- ItalianPod.com iTunes Free Feed
- A series of well-reviewed lessons that will let you learn Italian on your own terms.
- LearnItalianPod.com iTunes Free Feed
- A series of Italian language lessons that will get you up and running. I have personally used them and found them effective.
- Let’s Speak Italian iTunes Free Feed
- This collection will help you learn Italian in small, manageable 5-minute bites.
- MyDailyPhrase.com iTunes Free
- Learn Italian step by step over a course of 20 weeks. Lessons cover all the language you need to know to get by on a visit to a Italian-speaking country. Created by the same people who put together the popular series “Coffee Break Spanish.”
- Speak Italian with Your Mouth Full – Web – YouTube – iTunes –
- MIT instructor Dr. Paola Rebusco uses cooking to help her students learn to speak Italian.
Bookmark our free Italian lessons section.
- Foreign Service Institute Japanese – Web site
- Student guide, textbook, glossary, flashcards (PDF) and nine audio lessons (MP3).
- JapanesePod101.com – iTunes Free – Feed
- Over 100 quality lessons aimed at the beginner. Users give it high marks.
- Kanji Characters – iTunes Free
- Learn the proper form and stroke for several important Kanji characters. From Emory University.
- Learn Japanese – iTunes Free – Feed
- Japancast teaches Japanese using lessons from anime and everyday conversation.
- Learn Japanese Symbols – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- These lessons teach students how to work with Japanese symbols, such as Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana.
- Let’s Speak Japanese Basic – YouTube
- 26 video lessons produced by the Japan Foundation.
- Let’s Learn Japanese Basic II – YouTube
- 25 video lessons produced by the Japan Foundation.
- Survival Phrases iTunes Free Feed
- Learn the must-know phrases for traveling in Japan.
Bookmark our free Japanese lessons section.
- Foreign Service Institute Korean – Web site
- Includes the original and updated courses, each with textbooks (PDF) and audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Korean Headstart – Web site
- Textbook, cultural notes, and eight units of audio lessons (MP3).
- KoreanClass101 – iTunes Free
- Features daily audio lessons, video lessons, word of the day, etc.
- Korean Langauge Adventure – Web Site
- These lessons have been developed in the theme of travel and adventure, allowing learners to take a virtual journey to Seoul and its nearby popular tourist destinations.
- Korean Learning for Correction Pronunciation – Web Site
- Let’s Speak Korean Season 1 – YouTube
- 130 video lessons produced by Arirang TV.
- Let’s Speak Korean Season 3 – YouTube
- 130 video lessons produced by Arirang TV.
- Online Intermediate College Korean – Web Site
- A web-based online courseware based on Intermediate College Korean (University of California Press, 2002).
- Pathway to Korean: Beginning Spoken Korean from Zero – Web Site
- Created by the National East Asian Languages Resource Center at The Ohio State University.
- Survival Phrases – iTunes Free – Feed
- Gets the phrases that will get you by.
- Talk to Me in Korean – iTunes Free – Web Site
- Korean learning made simple and easy. Quite possibly the most thorough, frequent, slick, and entertaining language-instruction podcast of any kind.
- Traveler’s Korean Season 1 – YouTube
- Six video lessons produced by Arirang TV.
- Traveler’s Korean Season 2 – YouTube
- 25 Six video lessons produced by Arirang TV.
- Foreign Service Institute Lao – Web site
- Basic textbook, reading textbook (PDF), and two parts of audio lessons (MP3).
- Nightly News in Latin – Web Site
- “Nuntii Latini – News in Latin – is a weekly review of world news in Classical Latin, the only international broadcast of its kind in the world, produced by YLE, the Finnish Broadcasting Company.
- The London Latin Course – YouTube
- Learn Latin from the ground up. This is a serial course, structured to bring you to a high level of Latin fluency. The pace is slow and unhurried. This course is suitable for all ability levels. Restored Classical Pronunciation.
- Latin Introduction – Web
- The UT-Austin Linguistics Research Center provides an overview of Latin and 10 lessons based on famous Roman texts.
- One Minute Luxembourgish iTunes Free Feed
- Another niche language covered by the Radio Lingua Network.
- Toku Reo Web Site
- Learn Maori, the language of New Zealand’s indigenous people. Although these lessons accompany a television programme that is currently running, the essential bits of the episodes are available to be watched right here on this site. The course starts at square 1. Site includes video lessons. Another useful site for learning the grammar can be found here.
- Foreign Service Institute Norwegian Headstart – Web site
- Textbook (PDF) and eight audio lessons (MP3).
- One Minute Norwegian – iTunes Free – Feed
- Learn Norwegian in minutes with the Radio Lingua Network.
- Easy-to-Read Newspaper – Text
- This is not audio, but it’s useful nonetheless. A newspaper that helps you learn Norwegian by using large fonts and basic language.
- Norwegian on the Web – Web Site
- Free introductory lessons from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. Includes audio, video, and a downloadable textbook.
- One Minute Polish – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- Another helpful audio series provided by the Radio Lingua Network.
- Brazilian PodClass – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- Brazilian Portuguese 101 –iTunes Video Free
- 45 lessons by Semantica.
- Brazilian Portuguese Pronunciation – iTunes Free
- Emory University presents audio & video for learning the Brazilian Portuguese alphabet.
- Foreign Service Institute Portuguese Programmatic Course – Web site
- Two volumes including textbooks (PDF) and audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute From Spanish to Portuguese – Web site
- Textbook (PDF) and three audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Brazilian Portuguese Fast – Web site
- Two volumes including textbooks (PDF) and audio lessons (MP3).
- Ta Falado: Brazilian Portuguese Pronunciation for Spanish Speakers – iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- Created by the Texas Language Technology Center in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese at UT-Austin.
- Talk Portuguese – Web Site
- A video introduction to the language in 11 short parts with audio clips for key phrases.
- One Minute Romanian iTunes Free Feed Web Site
- Quick lessons by the creators of the One Minute language series.
- A Spoonful of Russian iTunes Free Feed Web Site
- Recommended by our readers.
- A Taste of Russian iTunes Free Web Site
- This “isn’t a boring Grammar course, it is a real chat on different topics which can be heard in everyday life. It is a chance to listen to the native speakers talking at home, at work, at the shop, at the party, etc.”
- Business Russian Web
- Presented by the UCLA Center for World Languages, this series teaches students the essentials of Russian business communication.
- Everyday Russian iTunes Free
- Everyday practice for Russian language learners of all levels.
- Foreign Service Institute Russian Fast – Web site
- Textbook (PDF) and eight audio lessons (MP3).
- Russian Grammar – YouTube
- 50 free, short videos on topics in basic Russian grammar. Funded by a grant from the University of South Carolina, the videos were created by Curtis Ford, a senior instructor at the University.
- Russian Literature iTunes Free Web Site
- Also presented by UCLA, the lessons help users improve their comprehension and vocabulary by listening to excerpts from Tolstoy, Gogol, Chekhov and other Russian literary greats.
- One Minute Russian iTunes Free Feed Web Site
- Russian Essentials – Web
- A web-application developed by the University of Cambridge Language Centre for basic level students of Russian. Russian Essentials concentrates on basic language, with eight sections covering key spoken and written language.
- Russian for Beginners 1 – Free YouTube Video
- A series of instructive videos from Olga Viberg at Dalarna University.
- RussianPod101 iTunes Free Web Site
- Helps you learn Russian and Russian culture at your convenience.
- Russian Handwriting – Web Site
- Brown University provides animations showing how to write Russian letters by hand.
Bookmark our free Russian lessons section.
- Foreign Service Institute Serbo-Croatian Basic – Web site
- Includes two textbooks (PDF) and twelve audio lessons (MP3).
- American Sign Language – Web Site
- Lessons that will get you started with the sign language prevalent in North America.
- 5 Minute Spanish 1 – iTunes
- Self-paced course from University of Arkansas offers a good introduction to Spanish for those who have never studied it before, or a good refresher for those who have. The course focuses almost exclusively on Spanish grammar. If you would like to take a more well-rounded approach to learning Spanish, click here for David Nance’s Spanish textbook, available free for the iPad.
- Destinos: An Introduction to Spanish Web Site
- This telenovela, or Spanish soap opera, immerses students in everyday situations and teaches speaking, listening, and comprehension skills in Spanish.
- Mi Vida Loca Web Site
- An immersive video mystery set in Spain to help you learn simple Spanish. Created by the BBC.
- Coffee Break Spanish iTunes Free – Web Site
- Learn Spanish in a low-key, effective way. Currently the #2 overall favorite on iTunes Free.
- Show Time Spanish – Tunes
- Produced by the same folks who created Coffee Break Spanish, this podcast is for intermediate and advanced learners.
- Foreign Service Institute Basic Course: Volume 1 – Web Site – Web Site
- This course in the Latin American dialect prepares students to function effectively in conversations. Pronunciation, inflection, and intonation are heavily stressed. Find related texts here.
- Foreign Service Institute Spanish Programmatic – Web site
- Two volumes including textbooks (PDF) and audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Spanish Basic – Web site
- Four volumes including textbooks (PDF) and audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Spanish Headstart for Puerto Rico – Web site
- Student text, glossary (PDF), and four modules of audio lessons (MP3) with self-evaluation quizzes.
- Foreign Service Institute Spanish Headstart for Spain – Web site
- Textbook and cultural notes (PDF) and four modules of audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Spanish Headstart for Latin America – Web site
- Textbook (PDF) and fifteen audio lessons (MP3).
- Finally Learn Spanish – Beyond the Basics iTunes Free – Feed
- If you’ve had some Spanish classes and you need experience listening to and speaking the language, then Finally Learn Spanish has lessons for you.
- Insta Spanish Lessons iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- Weekly comprehension and grammar exercises for students of all levels. One of the more popular programs on iTunes.
- Learn Spanish Survival Guide iTunes Free – Feed
- If you’re planning a trip to a Spanish speaking country, and if you don’t know the language, this will help get you up to speed.
- Learn to Speak Spanish iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- Learn to speak Spanish in just 15 minutes per day.
- Medical Spanish for Healthcare Providers – Web Site
- This site is presented as a free medical Spanish immersion, with vocabulary including greetings, history, examination, and everyday speech, all with translation and audio. It is designed to be helpful for a variety of medical personnel. Created by a general surgeon turned Spanish teacher.
- Notes in Spanish iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- Produced by Ben Curtis and Marina Diez, a husband-and-wife team out of Madrid, Spain. Ben is British and Marina is Spanish and they too have built quite a large following for their conversational Spanish lessons, (for beginners, intermediates and advanced students), which promise to teach listeners “real Spanish” the way it is actually spoken every day in Spain.
- One Minute Spanish iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- Covers the absolute basics of Spanish, focusing on the pronunciation used in most parts of Spain.
- One Minute Latin American Spanish iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- Same as above but focuses on the Spanish spoked across South America.
- Rojas Spanish Language iTunes Free – Feed
- “No English is spoken here. These lessons are for the Intermediate and Advanced Spanish Speaker who would like to sharpen their Spanish skills. The fine points of the language will be presented and explored through a variety of topics to include; music, history, culture, food.”
- Spanish 1 – Free iTunes iOS Course; Spanish 2 – Free iTunes iOS Course; Spanish 3 – Free iTunes iOS Course
- A self-paced Spanish course by David Nance at Arkansas.
- SpanishPod iTunes Free – Feed – Web Site
- A series of well-reviewed lessons that will let you learn Spanish on your own terms.
Bookmark our free Spanish lessons section.
- Foreign Service Institute Swahili – Web site
- Includes “Swahili: An Active Introduction” and basic course with textbook (PDF) 150 audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Swedish Basic – Web site
- Includes textbook (PDF) and sixteen audio lessons (MP3).
- Klartext Feed Web site
- News in easy-to-understand Swedish.
- Learn Swedish with SwedishLingQ iTunes Free Feed Web Site
- Our readers have been waiting for Swedish lessons to come along. Here it finally is.
- Swedish Survival Phrases iTunes Free Feed Web Site
- From the makers of the Survival Phrases series.
- Viloria.com Pinoy iTunes Free Feed Web Site
- Learn to speak Tagalog to give you the advantage when you travel to the Philippines.
- Foreign Service Institute Thai – Web site
- Textbooks (PDF) and 50 audio lessons (MP3).
- Learn Thai: Free English Thai Audiolearning Course iTunes Video – Web Site
- Apparently the lessons are good, but they’ve been having some technical problems and not all lessons are always available.
- Thai Alphabet – iTunes Free
- Emory University presents flashcards for recognizing letters in the Thai alphabet.
- Thai Survival Phrases – iTunes – Feed
- Covers the basics.
- Foreign Service Institute Turkish – Web site
- Textbooks (PDF) and 50 audio lessons (MP3).
- One Minute Turkish – iTunes
- A quick primer.
- Introduction to the Twi Language – Web Site
- 17 audio lessons by the Peace Corps will get you started speaking Twi, one of the most widely spoken of the 70 languages in Ghana.
- Ukrainian – Web Site
- More lessons from the US Peace Corps.
- Introduction to Urdu Alphabet – iTunes Free
- Emory University offers a quick primer on the Urdu alphabet and pronunciation.
- Foreign Service Institute Vietnamese – Web site
- Included familiarization course and basic course with two volumes of textbooks (PDF) and audio lessons (MP3).
- Survival Phrases iTunes Free Feed Web Site
- You get the gist from the title. Learn here some phrases that will help you survive in Vietnam.
- Millie’s Yiddish Class iTunes Free YouTube Feed Web Site
- Learn Yiddish via video, includes link to Youtube.
- GLOSS – Defense Language Institute – Web Site
- These lessons (6,000 in total) are developed for independent learners to provide them with the learning/teaching tools for improving their foreign language skills. Reading and listening lessons are based on authentic materials (articles, TV reports, radio broadcasts, etc.) and consist of 4 to 6 activities. GLOSS offers certificates providing documentation of work accomplished.
- The WWW Virtual Library: International Affairs Resources Web Site
- This website directory, which is part of the WWW Virtual Library System, features over 2000 carefully selected, annotated links in 37 international affairs categories. The site offers a great way to understand our changing world, but it also includes its own section of language learning resources, and it includes sections dedicated to Spanish, French and German.
- Teach Yourself a Foreign Language iTunes Free
- This program discusses how to go about learning a foreign language on your own. Some people liked it, some didn’t. Check it out and judge for yourself.
Our collection of foreign language lessons has been featured in the New York Times, Princeton University’s Humanities Resource Center, and The New York Times again, and yet once again in The New York Times.